Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Curses



Sometimes it takes me a loooong time to figure out how I will utilize one of my acquisitions in an assemblage piece. My brother in law gave me this wonderful vintage easel chalkboard that has a lovely instructional chart that can be viewed by turning the handles at the top of the board. It took me months before I hit upon the concept for this piece, but when I stopped at the chart for the letters of the alphabet illustrated in cursive I knew just what I wanted to do. Since currently there is a lively controversy surrounding dropping the teaching of cursive in schools I thought this piece would be particularly timely. I made a mold of a doll face and pressed polymer clay into the mold to make the faces. Then I stamped an indented rectangular space where the mouth is supposed to be and inserted the word "damn" written in cursive in those mouth spaces. I then made a sign with a large printout of the word "Cursive" and hung it from the bottom of the chalk board. So...did you love learning cursive, or were you one of those children who were silently cursing cursive?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved learning cursive, loved the loops and curves, don't write nearly enough today x

JonesMoore Studio Art, Lisa JonesMoore said...

This is a really really fun piece!